Monday, April 27, 2009

How Will I Be Remembered

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived. " — Marjorie Pay Hinckley

I recently read this on another blog. Something I needed to read and remember today. A friend and I were talking about the trials we experience here on earth. There are days that being a mom feels like a trial to me. Just a thought, but what makes a trial a trial? I realize we all experience our fair share of them. And no matter who you ask I think you will get a different answer. In R.S. a couple of weeks ago the sister teaching the lesson asked, "Is there anyone in here who isn't going through a trial right now?" One of the sisters raised her hand. I thought to myself... this person has experienced some major trials with her children having serious health issues, so the little things that feel like a trial to some are nothing to her. I know that a lot of our experience with trials have to do with our perspective. Going through hard things hopefully changes our perspective, helping us appreciate the good and helping us better understand what really matters in this life. So I ask myself trial or blessing? Well I guess that all depends what day you ask me and how focused I am on having an eternal perspective.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Thanks for sharing :) That was very uplifting today!

Merrick said...

What a great reminder. Thanks for sharing!

p.s. I promise I WILL remember my haircut this weekend :) and I'll bring that CD of cruise images for you...