Friday, October 10, 2008

Families Can Be Together Forever


Katie asked Seth and I to help her with her Sunday school lesson by answering a couple of questions. 1)Can you describe how you felt when you were married in the temple?
I said...
One of my most vivid memories was as I looked around the sealing room at all the family and friends that were gathered to witness our sealing. I can remember the spirit I felt as I caught a glimpse of what it is going to feel like in the next life to be united as an eternal family with those I love.
Seth said...
I remember a strong feeling of responsibility and acknowledgment from my Father in Heaven. As I took my wife's hand prior to the sealing ceremony and walked with her into the celestial room I remember feeling that my life to that point had been leading to this point, and that all the decisions that I had made, for good and for bad had prepared me to be worthy of this responsibility.

The next question was 2)What are the blessings you receive in this life because you have been sealed to your spouse for eternity?
I said...
I think that one of the blessings of temple marriage is the perspective it gives us in our day to day life together. Just like having the gospel in our life gives us an eternal perspective when we face challenges, being married in the temple gives us that same perspective as we face challenges in our marriage. So many people in the world today take this strong commitment "lightly" and can become selfish in their marriages. As members of the church we need to remember what is sacred, even though so many have forgotten. In our marriages we need to cherish and support each other as we work towards the ultimate goal, eternal life.
Seth said...
As far as blessings that we have received as a result of temple marriage. We have been promised that the spirit will be in our home, and that our children will be blessed with the stability that comes from celestial marriage. It is important although to express that a temple marriage is not necessarily a celestial marriage. Temple marriage like baptism is merely the ordinance that opens the path to the blessing of celestial marriage, similar to the way baptism opens the way to eternal life in the presence of the Father. In order to receive the blessings predicated on the fulfillment of a celestial marriage a couple must strive to attain the purpose of our creation together. To return to our Father in Heaven, and become as he is, to be begot spirit sons and daughters of our own, teach them to make correct choices and follow the teachings of our Father. These are the true blessings of a "Celestial Marriage".

Thank you Katie for giving us this opportunity to remember such an important event in our lives and the memories and blessings it brings.

No comments: