Parker started kindergarten today. He was so excited last night when we told him he was going to have to start going to school everyday. I heard him tell Mitchell as they were playing in his room, "now I am going to have to go to school everyday. So you have to stay home with mom and then we can play when I get home. Okay?"
His teacher, Ms. Craven, was in our ward when we moved to Herriman. So we were really excited when we found out she would be his teacher. When I went to meet her last week, I realized that kindergarten entails a lot more than preschool ever did. We had three homework assignments to complete before the first day of school and I got signed up to help out in class twice a month. There are 25 kids in his class, so she said she relies a lot on parental involvement. I am glad that she is putting the effort in to make learning fun for the kids. When we went for registration we also realized that the doctor forgot to give Parker one of his immunizations when I took him for kindergarten shots back in April. Neither mom nor child were happy campers about this one, but we got it done. Like Seth said Parker deserves extra points for having to go through that experience again. Everything with him is dramatic, so I was grateful Grandma Necia was there to support.
Today his teacher asked the parents to come for the first hour of class with their child to help ease the transition. They had us go through the morning routine with them, do three small craft projects, and help them find the bathroom. I painted Parker's hand so he could make his hand print and then he was suppose to write his name under it. While he was writing his name, he messed up the k, and he said, "mom you are making me nervous. Don't watch me." Then a little later he said, "mom when are you going to leave? You need to leave." I knew he was ready for this milestone and after today I realized we both are. I am excited for him to learn new things and have new experiences. I won't lie either, I am looking forward to a little free time each day, even if it is only a couple of hours. I think with time even Mitchell will start to enjoy having one on one attention from mom. Parker we are so proud of how bravely you embrace the new experiences in your life!
1 comment:
What a funny kid. I'm glad you are doing well with the change. It can be very emotional.
Post a Comment